The world’s lightest electric gravel bike presented to you with the UK Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano 105 Review. The selling price is reasonable and affordable.
For the UK Ribble CGR AL e-Grey category, there is a total of six models with different groupsets (Dura-Ace, Ultegra Di2, Ultegra, Shimano 105, Shimano Tigra, Shimano Claris) to match the buyers liking and selection.
From the expert cyclist’s review, many of them praise using the Shimano 105 groupset, thus I decide to do UK Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano 105 review and not other groupsets. I believed Shimano 105 groupset must have its plus points, which I would like to find out in this article.
UK Ribble GCR AL e-Grey Shimano 105
- Name of Product: Ribble GCR AL e – Grey Shimano 105
- Product URL:- Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano 105
- Product ID: 68800
- Product Brand: Ribble
- SKU: BBCGREGR002
- Aggregate Rating – 4.69 out of 5.0 with 13 reviews on Trustpilot
- Price Currency: £
- Price: 2165.83
- Price includes tax: 2165.83
- Gender: Male / Unisex
- Category: Bikes
- Custom Made Bikes
- Color: Grey / Red
- Stock: 999
Product Image URL: Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano image
The Commuting Gravel Road (CGR) AL e-Grey Shimano 105 is designed to use on or off-road, a versatile all-rounder e-bike. It has tube profiles, and geometry provides stability, controlled handling, and comfort over multiple terrains.
The lightweight motor system offers smooth and reliable power assistance levels to ensure your ride feels as natural as a traditional bicycle. The cable and the lightweight BatteryBattery are entirely hidden at the frame’s downtube, giving a clean and neat appearance of a regular bike.
A choice of 700c wheelsets with Continental Ultra Sport tire can smoothly use in all terrains. Mudguards and rack mount complete the versatility, ensuring that this bike is worth its value.
The three options for CGR AL e-Grey:
- Option #1: Design rating is 9.0 out of 10
- Option #2: Overall Quality rating is 9.0 out of 10
- Option #3: Support rating is 9.0 out of 10
- Overall Rating: 9.0 out of 10.
Pro for CGR AL e-Grey:
- The slim and light Battery is powerful.
- Best lightest electric gravel bike.
- Shimano 105 groupset is excellent.
Con for CGR AL e-Grey:
- Not able to sell internationally.
- Have to take a queue for assembly – 21 working days.
- Biking posture not for all ages.
Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano 105 design review from the specification:
Shifter – Shimano 105 R7020 11 Speed Hydraulic.
- The Shimano 105 R7020 Dual Control Levers bring the all condition confidence of hydraulic disc brakes and refined ergonomics to the quick and intuitive shifting cyclists expect from SHIMANO 105
Front Derailleur – Shimano 105 R7000 Braze-on.
- The Shimano 105 Double Front Derailleur has a full link design to give increased rigidity and improved shifting response, taking front shifting to a whole new level, especially under heavy loads.
Rear Derailleur – Shimano 105 R7000 Med Cage.
- Shimano 105 RD-R7000 offers Stable shifting performance and Wide compatibility.
Chain Set – Shimano 105 R7000 34-50T.
- The Shimano 105 R7000 Compact Chainset is an updated profile, this chainset increases stiffness throughout the pedal stroke for optimum power transfer, while the ample chain clearance ensures a smooth, silent ride.
Cassette – Shimano 105 R7000 11-32T.
- The Shimano CS-R7000 is an 11-speed cassette with options to better suit gravel, adventure, or CX riding.
Chain – HG601 11 speed.
- This Super Narrow HG-X11 directional chain offers precise shifting and improved durability thanks to SHIMANO’s SIL-TEC treatment on the inner plate surfaces.
Bottom Bracket – PressFit BB71 86.5 X 41.
- Shimano SM-BB71-41B is a press-fit bottom bracket that is also the best combination of rotational efficiency, rigidity, load capacity, tightness, and weight for press-fit bearings.
Brake – Shimano 105 R7070 Hydraulic Disc.
- Shimano 105 R7070 disc brake caliper features premium stopping power and aerodynamics for road applications. It has excellent heat dissipation for confident performance on the longest descents is guaranteed.
Rotors – RT66 6-Bolt 160mm.
- The RT66 rotor can fix well with Shimano’s mountain bike’s disc brake range. It will consistently deliver the braking power you need.
Wheel – Mavic Aksium Elite Evo UST EBM.
- The Mavic Aksium Elite Evo UST Disc Wheelset features straight-pull bladed spokes, which improve stiffness and strength.
Tires – Continental Ultra Sport 3 700X28c, Black.
- Continental Ultra Sport 3 700X28c is a rigid and compact tire, high elasticity makes it extremely resistant to glass punctures, spines, or other debris, and with smooth tread and light steering. It is for long cycling tours and trekking-giving its excellent durability.
Frame – 6061 T6 Heat Treated, Seamless Weld Aluminum.
- The 6061-T6 aluminum alloy is a choice for builders of bicycle frames because it’s durable and lightweight.
Saddle – Prologo Kappa RS, Black.
- The Kappa uses Prologo’s ‘semi-round’ shape, with the rear part occupying the middle ground between flat and rounded – The right choice for road, mountain, and racing bikes.
Hub – Mahle Ebikemotion X35 M1, 36V/250W
- X35 – Light & Smart eBike System.
Battery – Panasonic 36V/250w 18650 GA-10S/2P
- X35 – Light & Smart eBike System.
Weight – 13.3 Kg (Medium Size)
What is Groupset items?
A bicycle shifter or gear control or gear levers is a component used to control the gearing mechanisms and select the desired gear ratio.
It operates either a derailleur mechanism or an internal hub gear mechanism. The controls are operated by moving a cable that connects the shifter to the gear mechanism.
Derailleur gears are a variable-ratio transmission system commonly used on bicycles, consisting of a chain, multiple sprockets of different sizes, and a mechanism to move the chain from one sprocket to another.
Most bicycle brake systems consist of three main components:
- The mechanism for the rider to apply the brakes, such as brake levers or pedals.
- The mechanism for transmitting that signal, such as Bowden cables, hydraulic hoses, rods, or the bicycle chain.
- The brakes mechanism itself, a caliper or drum, to press two or more surfaces together in order to convert, via friction, the kinetic energy of the bike and rider into thermal energy to be dissipated.
It is the component of a bicycle drivetrain that converts the reciprocating motion of the rider’s legs into rotational motion used to drive the chain or belt, which in turn drives the rear wheel.
It is the set of multiple sprockets that attaches to the hub on the rear wheel. A cogsets works with a rear derailleur to provide multiple gear ratios to the rider. Cogsets come in two varieties, freewheels or cassettes, of which cassettes are a newer development.
Although cassettes and freewheels perform the same function and look almost the same when installed, they have important mechanical differences and are not interchangeable.
It is a roller chain that transfers power from the pedals to the drive-wheel of a bicycle, thus propelling it. Most bicycle chains are made from plain carbon or alloy steel, but some are nickel-plated to prevent rust, or simply for aesthetics.
B.3 Shimano 105 versus Shimano Tiagra?
- Shimano 105 has 11 sprockets on the rear wheel while Tiagra has ten gears on the rear wheel.
- Shimano 105 has closer-ratio gearing.
- Both can use the same ratio of gear cable pull to rear derailleur movement.
- Shimano Tiagra is heavier by 200 gm.
- Shimano Tiagra is cheaper.
B.4 Shimano 105 versus Shimano Ultegra?
- Both are 11-speed groupsets with the same capacity for sprocket and chainring sizes.
- Ultegra is a bit more defined with lighter materials in some areas and has more durable coatings on some parts.
- Ultegra is lighter and durable.
- The weight difference is 200 gm and is in the brake, shift levers, and chainset.
B.5 Shimano groupsets grading from high to low:
The range includes six mechanical groupsets, using cables to operate front and rear derailleurs, and there are two electronic groupsets. Electronic groupsets have proven extremely popular with precious gear changes, save battery life, and excellent durability.
- Shimano Dura-Ace 9150 Di2
- Shimano Dura-Ace 9100
- Shimano Ultegra R8050 Di2
- Shimano Ultegra R8000
- Shimano Ultegra R6870 Di2
- Shimano Ultegra R6800
- Shimano 105 R7000
- Shimano 105 R5800
- Shimano Tiagra
- Shimano Sora
- Shimano Claris
B.6 Feature of Mavic Aksium Elite Evo UST EBM
- UST increases rolling efficiency and reduces the risk of flats – Puncture resistance is excellent.
- Welded rim design adds strength and lighter – Lighter and durable to use.
- More full-rim improves rolling efficiency and comfort – Comfortable to cycle.
- High-quality cartridge bearings perform consistently and last – Durable to use and quiet to ride.
- Material: S6000 Aluminium
- Tires: Mavic Yksion Elite UST tires (700 x 25), clincher, tubeless-ready
- Wheelset weight (without tires): 1780 grams
- Front-wheel weight (without casing): 825 grams
- Rear-wheel weight (without tire): 955 grams
B.7 Conclusion of Ribble CGR AL e-Shimano 105 design:
- Ribble CGR AL e-Grey Shimano Electric Bike has a precise specification for each component to ensure the whole bike was well designed by cyclist experts.
- Shimano 105 R7000 11 speed groupset is a high-end product for smooth gear shifting and enjoyable riding.
- Frame, fork, bar, stem, bar tape, and seat post material are strong, light, and durable to use.
- Ebikemotion X35 smart and light system is an advanced technology product with a total weight of 3.5 Kg only and supports a travel range of 60 miles to 80 miles.
Ribble Electric Bike is proud of Quality Control:
- Ensure customers buy the right bikes by explanation to customer prior purchase – Discuss carefully with each customer to custom made the bike’s specification accordingly to customer’s needs.
- Ensure every skilled mechanic is responsible for their assembly work in every step of installation – Assigned one mechanic to hand made one electric bike to ensure every step of assembling are closely monitoring without any missing.
- Ensure enough time to perform a quality check and certified test of new electric bikes before dispatch – Fixed 21 working days for assembling the bike with quality assurance check and certification for delivery.
- Ensure customer likes the bike he has chosen and give test run 30 days for modifying if need – Provide 30 days trial ride period with insurance coverage to ensure every customer likes their cycles.
- Ensure their parts used are quality and durable – They are giving three years warranty period, which has high confidence in their bike’s quality.
- Ensure customers are 100% satisfactory – Ribble teams are proud of their overall quality assurance given to their customers.
Ribble Support gives Buyers warm and best service:
- Buy direct from Ribble with the best pricing – More middlemen, more money to pay by customer.
- Ribble is a team of cyclists of all levels and disciplines that are happy to help and advise no matter what the query.
- Ribble assists the customer to custom made the specification that meets their needs.
- Ribble direct delivery to your home or you can choose to collect from the nearby stores.
- Hand assembling bikes since 1897.
- Ribble offers a 3-year frame warranty and an initial 30 day home test ride on all bikes.
- Ribble can deliver to Europe and nearby countries with shipping fees below GBP100.
Ribble Bikes can purchase from the online stores:
Ribble Electric Bikes has carried out the review by TrustPilot:
Rated 4.69 out of 5 based on 13 reviews by TrustPilot.
Reviewed By Mr. T Butler
Overall very pleased with my new CGR AL sport. The first ride was a bit nervy (never used such narrow wheels before) but instantly felt comfortable and happy on the bike. I had to adjust the front derailleur as the chain was rubbing, but only a minor issue and a quick fix.
Before I ordered the bike, I sent an Email question to Ribble and had a reply within an hour. After I ordered, I received constant updates on the status of my order, and I received my bike ahead of schedule.
I would recommend Ribble bikes to friends and family and would consider Ribble for any bike shopping in the future.
Reviewed By Timmy
I love my new CGR Al Gravel bike! It arrived as expected (fully set up with only bars, seat, and pedals to fit), and 20 minutes or so later, I was taking my first test ride.
Two weeks on, I’ve enjoyed this bike on the road, loose gravel, dirt, single track, horse paths, some tricky rocky short descents, and tricky dirt descents.
I felt very comfortable every time I was on the bike, and I can’t wait to take it out again! My only problem so far (after ten rides, 235km) is there is a squeaking noise which it appears is from the freehub. We, Will, investigate, but confidence is not going to be a significant issue.
Reviewed By Jane Wright
I’m new to cycling, and after lots of research and careful consideration, I contacted Ribble using the virtual showroom service. They gave me great advice, and I went for the custom-made steel frame-endurance road bike. It’s a classic simple bike that is comfortable to use.
Great customer service. The bike arrived after a week or so well packaged and simple to put together. Pleased and glad I choose ‘Ribble.’ Highly recommended.
Ribble CGR AL e-Shimano 105 is the lightest electric gravel bike with a great combination of Shimano 105 R7000 groupset, Mavic Aksium Elite Evo UST wheelset, and Ebikemotion X35 smart system is indeed a high-end electric bike for purchase.
Ribble’s team is highly specialized in cycling to custom design the specification, hand assembly by a qualified mechanic to ensure overall quality, plus 30 days of trial use at home, giving the customer peace of mind to purchase from them. Make your order now when the price is still floating.
You can click the link to read our first Ribble Bike review post.